Try adding session_start() at top of the script

Balpo wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'm having a problem moving my code to a linux computer.
I won't post the whole code here, but an accurate example that reproduces exactly the error.

//************************ 1.php
<?php
session_register('tree');
$_SESSION['tree'] = "This is tree number one";
header("Location: 2.php");
?>

//************************ 2.php
<?php
print_r($_SESSION, false);
?>

//************************ php.ini (incomplete)
session.save_handler = files
session.save_path = /tmp/php/sessions/ o ;C:/temp/php/sessions for Windows
session.use_cookies = 1
session.name = cito
session.auto_start = 1
session.cookie_lifetime = 0
session.cookie_path = /
session.cookie_domain =
session.cookie_httponly =
session.serialize_handler = php
session.gc_probability = 1
session.gc_divisor     = 100
session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440
session.bug_compat_42 = 0
session.bug_compat_warn = 0
session.referer_check =
session.entropy_length = 0
session.entropy_file =
session.cache_limiter = nocache
session.cache_expire = 180
session.use_trans_sid = 0
session.hash_function = 0
session.hash_bits_per_character = 4
url_rewriter.tags = "a=href,area=href,frame=src,input=src,form=,fieldset="

The web server is Apache 2.2 with php 5.24 for both, Linux & Windows.
In Linux the Apache server is run by the 'apache' user, which has reading, writing and execution grants on /tmp/php/sessions/

The output for 2.php is:
     Array ( [tree] => This is tree number one )
is what I get on Windows, but on Linux I get:
Notice: Undefined variable: _SESSION in /var/www/html/2.php on line 2

I don't know what the error is, but something evident is that on Linux session.auto_start = 1 is NOT working properly. On Windows it is not necessary to explicitly start the session to use the $_SESSION, so no need to session_start(). If on Linux I add session_start() at the top of each script, the script executes well.

I want to know why session.auto_start does not work on Linux.

If you require the whole php.ini, I'll send it gladly

--

Open Source ALL content management
with streaming video