I completely agree, server-side validation does always have to exist. That said, I like providing feedback on the validity of a form before the user leaves the page AND I hate duplicating the validation logic in Javascript when it's already present in my PHP.

What I did in my PHP framework (probably framework 2 billion and 1) was set it up so you can use REST-ful calls to the PHP page that contains the validation so you can retrieve the results of the validation, allowing you to render whatever feedback you'd like on the calling page through AJAX, or allow the request to proceed if it was valid. Additionally, I've set my framework up so it chunks web pages into various sections ('pipes'), allowing for REST-ful calls to the PHP page that contains a pipe to easily render the HTML fragment associated with a particular section, so you can progressively enhance pages with javascript quite easily.

I'm pleased with this approach after using for it for a while now, and I recommend it to others.

Adam