On May 14, 2008, at 854PM, Tony M wrote:

Can I install a newer version of php over an older version ?

I am new to php and am in the process of installing it and reading various tutorials.

I always suggest using XAMPP (http://xampp.org) or a similar package that will install MySQL, PHP and Apache all for you in one bundle on development machines. It's much faster, easier to manage and it just works!

That said, I don't advocate using XAMPP on a production server. For a production server it's worth taking the time to install each individually so you know exactly how each one is configured.

Brady