On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 11:18 -0600, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Robert Cummings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Did you just try to use a test that used a single iteration to prove me
> > wrong? OMFG ponies!!! Loop each one of those 10 million times, use a
> > separate script for each, and use the system time program to
> > appropriately measure the time the system takes.
>

> <?php
>
> $str = 'asSAFAASFDADSfasfjhalskfjhlaseAERQWERQWER;.dafasjhflasfjd';
> $search = 'fdasASDFAafdas';
>
> $start = microtime();
>
> for($i = 0; $i < 10000000; $i++)
>     strpos($str, $search);
>
> $end = microtime();
> $r1 = $end - $start;
>
> $start = microtime();
>
> for($i = 0; $i < 10000000; $i++)
>     stripos($str, $search);
>
> $end2 = microtime();
> $r2 = $end2 - $start;
>
> echo "strpos: $r1\n";
> echo "stripos: $r2\n";
>
> if($r2 < $r1) {
>     echo 'stripos is faster' . PHP_EOL;
> }
> ------------------------------
> strpos: 0.730519
> stripos: -0.098887
> stripos is faster

Negative time eh!? You're code must be buggy :| The time program works
like this unde rmost nix systems:

    time php -q foo.php

And then it returns a report of how much time was taken for various
types of time. I've already sent an email with the appropriate timing of
both versions. BTW, as primtive as microtime() is for this kind of
measurement... you might want to read the manual to use it properly:

    http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.microtime.php

You probably want:

    microtime( true )

> stripos still dominates ;)  what is this system time program you speak of ?
> and, ill put them into separate programs when i get home this evening, and
> have more time to screw around.

It's a simple thought process to understand that unless someone coding
the PHP internals buggered their code, that stripos() cannot possibly be
faster than strpos(). I really don't need benchmarks for something this
simple to know which SHOULD be faster.

Cheers,
Rob.
--