I wrote thumbnailing script that did exactly what you said below, but to
eliminate the needless regeneration of existing thumbnails I just did a
check to see if the thumbnail already exists:

if(!file_exists("/path/to/thumbnail.jpg")){

        //Create the thumbnail here

}

If the thumbnail already exists, the script skips over it, but if it doesn't
it creates it as needed.

-Andy