Joseph Subida wrote:
Daniel Brown wrote:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Joseph Subida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi.

I am new to PHP. I found a tutorial that said to copy and paste the code
into a .php document and open it in my browser:

<?php
echo $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
?>

I'm pretty sure PHP is enabled on my computer. I've tested code such as:

    PHP is definitely on your system.

[snip!]

The error I get when I try

<?php
echo $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
?>

is

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in
/Library/WebServer/Documents/test.php on line 106

    What is the code on lines 105 and 106 of test.php?  If there's
nothing on line 105, please send us the immediately-preceding code.

105: <?php
106: echo $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
107: ?>

All the code before line 105 is code that I've been messing around with. I tried testing those three lines in its own file. But I still get the same error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /Library/WebServer/Documents/error.php on line 2

    By the way, a T_VARIABLE is just a variable --- anything beginning
with a $dollar_sign.

I had a similar problem and this was suggested and it worked for me:

Try to put the global $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] into {}brackets:

echo '{$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']}';

I'm not sure about the single quotes in your situation... I'm new at this too :)