Eric Butera wrote:
The only thing I can think of is using JS to create some sort of
IFRAME, meta redirect, window.location, or a popup window, something
that will force the page to hit your download script directly.  I've
never attempted it myself so I'm not sure what sort of issues IE would
have with any of the above.

Well, if we, the illiterate, are going to brainstorm ;) - clicking a link/button/image executes JavaScript function, which (via AJAX request) hits the php download script. The response will be received by the AJAX object.

Nothing php here.

As far as I see the problem, it is - how to pass this response to the browser in an elegant way, so that the browser will open a "Save as..." dialogue and will direct the stream there.

One could ask this on a JavaScript/AJAX list.

Iv