Ryan,

That feed is indeed XML.

However, as you said, some sites *MAY* have that option turned off. (For
what reason, I have no idea.) I would suggest doing what tedd was
talking about--grab the entire file contents, and figure out the
structure of WP sites to determine where the "articles" are at in the
tag structure, and parse the info inside those tags.

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer