On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 2:47 PM, mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/7/08, Eric Butera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Laziness/convenience.
>>
>> I always get my data from the exact source I want.  If someone chooses
>> to use REQUEST it shouldn't break their application.  You say it is a
>> security risk, but not really.  As long as everything is
>> filtered/escaped properly it should be fine because you force the data
>> to play by your rules.
>
> I'm not talking about escaping/filtering. I'm talking about variable
> overriding.
>
> In the past, it was
>
> $_GET['foo']
> $foo
>
> register_globals fixed that.
>
> however, if your app is relying on
>
> $_SESSION['username'] or $_COOKIE['username'] or something like that,
> depending on the variables order, it can be overridden.
>
> I don't see why if you -know- you need $_COOKIE['username'] someone
> would be lazy and use $_REQUEST['username']
>
> It winds up allowing the end user to override information themselves
> (again, depending on the variables order) which depending on that and
> how poor the code is (which to me if you're relying on $_REQUEST
> you've probably got some bugs and exploitable holes in there) creates
> a security risk.
>
> and session vars are in $_REQUEST, I tried it to sanity check myself
> before posting this :)

Usually from what I've seen $_REQUEST is a lazy way to get an id from
either a post or a get.  Say you show a form and the url is
page.php?id=x and then you post said page it might include a hidden
form field called id so using request you don't have to worry about
how to load your record back based on get or post.  I'm not saying it
is right, but that is how a lot of people use it.  If your app is
written correctly it doesn't matter what is thrown at it, it should
always work.  Even if a variable gets overridden it should still be
forced to play with the rules of the app and work like a valid request
does.

I think that having a set of if statements that say something like the
following is silly.
if (isset($_POST['id'])) {
} else if (isset($_GET['id'])) {
}

The id should always be a get parameter since it is part of the
request to build the state, not the state itself.  So on my stuff if I
need an id lookup, that is always going to be a GET.  My post action
will be save?id=x.