On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 07:02 +1000, Kevin Waterson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Yeti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > It will still take some time until every provider has PHP5 running, at least
> > where I am from. I have many customers who want me to get their sites
> > running on some cheap webspace they got along with their internet
> > connection. Then you have to tell them it won't work because of some problem
> > with the versions. I would love to write code for PHP5+ only.This is a
> > terrible excuse for using
>
> PHP 4. Today, July 13, marks 4 years since
> the release of PHP 5.0. _4 YEARS_ to move applications and code to PHP5.
>
> Its either apathy or incometence.

I think apathy... for those who don't give a damn about OOP or the
advanced OOP features, PHP5 brought little to the table while often
requiring work to get your code there. Then followed multiple versions
each with their own quirks all the while tightening a noose of OOP
correctness around the developer who didn't care about some purists OOP
philosophies. Finally, and this isn't particularly true anymore, PHP5
was much slower in earlier versions.

And yes, I've modified my own code as things have progressed, but I
certainly do have clients that didn't want me wasting their money
converting their code-base (not originally written by me) to PHP5. And
yes, I've seen terrible things in the code that PHP5 certainly did
break. And again, yes, some of this was due to poor coding on the
original developer's part... but hey, it DID work in PHP4.

By forcing an end of life, PHP did a favour to all those developers who
couldn't really make the case to their bosses or clients by forcing it
upon them. The issue became much more salient at that point.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com