Per Jessen wrote:
Lester Caine wrote:

Some ISP's are still only supporting rather ancient versions of PHP4.
They should simply be warned of the security risks. Some ISP's have a
PHP5 offering, but again an older version simply because it causes
less problems when converting from PHP4.

The problem for an ISP is - with thousands of customers, he has no way
of knowing who has used what PHP extension or feature.  Without
virtually guaranteed backwards compatibility, a mass upgrade of 4 to 5
could be a major headache. Besides, are the security risks sufficiently severe for the ISP to
warrant the upgrade effort+headache?

Having seen the problems some of the 'upgrades' have caused I can only agree. But getting a stable version of PHP5 out on to which existing PHP4 users can be migrated is probably essential. And feature freezing that base is a must, so that at least there is a fixed target. I've managed to sort of jump through single versions of 5.0.x - 5.1.6 and now 5.2.6 although the latter was more due to regressive bugs in most of the versions from 5.1.6 to 5.2.6.

At present I can't see any logic reason to even bother with 5.3 until all of my customer sites have been moved to 5.2.6 which will probably take another year. so anything that helps people at least start migrating TO PHP5 should be encouraged?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL