On 8/1/08, Micah Gersten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is this a repetitive thing your clients will do many times?  I recently
> created a backup solution using ssh keys and the pecl ssh extension to
> automate backups.  Then a cronjob sorts the files on the server.  It's a
> lot more secure than allowing PUTs.

Yes, we have end users (non-employees) and other employees from all
geographies (slow connections in China, India), USA, europe, etc, etc.
uploading files of any size and any shape. Video files, audio files,
executables, PDFs, anything.

This is a general purpose file upload solution for our content
management system used worldwide. We can't really create a list of
users and such, as it's open to anyone to contribute. We still
moderate/filter/etc. as needed. We're not worried about security, each
file will have its own unique location so they wouldn't clobber each
other, and they'll be isolated and not executed on the server, so
security to me isn't a concern. The webserver is already open to the
world, SSH/SFTP and FTP are not; so that would technically open that
up to the world, and actually open up more attack vectors :)