Benjamin Darwin wrote:
Anybody have any suggestons/ideas on how this should be done, and what
program is a good fit?

Personally I think subversion is best suited for web projects (which can have high graphics churn) and git is best suited for code projects (which have text differences).

I'm really loving git the more I use it for various projects, but I really don't think I'd be bothered with it's complexity if you are new to VCS.

Subversion is great. You can can either run a repository locally or remotely and check out your "working copy" to do the actual changes, and commit back to the repository when you are done. If you keep your repository store locally, then make sure you have a good backup policy there!

Personally, I keep my subversion repository on a central server in the office. It's connected via a standard ADSL but I can SSH in from the outside world. Live servers connect directly into it to do their checkouts for actually running the site. I do this on demand so it doesn't matter if the office server is offline etc. as I just make sure it goes online before updating. That way I'll usually have a full local checkout on my dev machine, the master repository and of course the live servers. This is quite reassuring from a backup perspective :D

If you do go for subversion, I can recommend Trac as an excellent web based frontend to the repository to allow you to view it nicely. It also has a wiki for keeping notes and a ticketing system; with a few plugins I wrote (WorkLogPlugin, ClientsPlugin) it is ideal for tracking time spent on various tasks for various clients in order ot issue invoices etc.

As for frontends, on Winblows, Tortoise SVN is the defacto one, but if you use Eclipse there are a few options there (Subclipse and Subversive) too.

HTHs

Col