yes on port 119.
i do not want to use my professional email address (or SMTP settings) to
send message on newsgroups.

for MS, Borland, eclipse and other newsgroups servers, it works perfectly
without setting a SMTP server.
i do not use gmail to send message via thunderbird... i use gmail only for
mailing list as thunderbird does not work :-(