On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Dan Shirah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I've got a website here: http://beta.menashalibrary.org/about
>> >
>> > On every page, i've got a search box at the top. This search box
>> > searches
>> > the library's web catalog. The problem is, when someone searches, it
>> > takes
>> > them away from the site. What I'd like to do is take what a person
>> > searches
>> > for, and load it into the bottom frame of this page:
>> >

>> > http://beta.menashalibrary.org/sites/beta.menashalibrary.org/themes/salamander/searchframe.html
>> >
>> > Is there a way, with php, to take what someone puts in the search box
>> > and
>> > put the results into the bottom frame of a frameset when the originating
>> > page does not contain frames?
>> >
>> > - jody
>
> Bastien is right, this is more of a Javascript issue.
>
> It can be accomplished very easily by doing the following.
>
> Once the user enters the search criteria have the submit button/link call a
> javascript function like the following:
>
> function submitForm(var1,var2) {
>  top.leftFrame.document.my_search.text1.value = var1;
>  top.leftFrame.document.my_search.text2.value = var2;
>  top.leftFrame.document.my_search.submit();
>  document.search_form.submit();
> }
>
> And this would be your submit link:
>
> <a
> href="javascript:submitForm(document.search_form.var1.value,document.search_form.var2.value)">SEARCH</a>

I apologize for my ignorance, I don't really know much about
javascript. When I add all that into my form page, when I submit the
form, it just replaces the page I was on with the form results, rather
than in the new frame page. I'm assuming I need to put the url for the
frameset page in that code somewhere. Where does it go? And, which
part do I replace with the frame name on that frameset page?

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this, I really appreciate it!

- jody