From: tedd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:40 PM
To: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: RE: [PHP] Re: Variable name as a string

At 11:50 AM +0100 8/28/08, Ford, Mike wrote:
>On 28 August 2008 00:04, tedd advised:
>
>  > One of the ways to get around this is to:
>>
>>  <input type="checkbox" name="my_checkboxes[]"
>>  id="my_checkbox_1" value="1" >
>  >
>>  That way php will use "name" and javascript will use "id".
>
>Why???
>
>   <form name="my_form" ... >
>      <input type="checkbox" name="my_checkboxes[]" ... >
>   </form>
>
>   <script language="Javascript">
>   checkboxes = document.my_form["my_checkboxes[]"];
>   </script>
>
>Cheers!
>
>Mike

Mike:

There is no "Why?", this is just another way to do it. In fact, there
are other ways to accomplish this than what both of us have shown.

What's nice about the technique I described here, at least for me, is
that the "value" attribute applies to both name and id. PHP uses name
and javascript uses id -- it's simple.

However, I've been leaning to using getElementById() to create
unobtrusive javascript, which can be used to isolate and use "name"
as well, thus reducing the html code.

I think my next demo will be to show these various techniques.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------