On Sep 12, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Andrew Ballard wrote:

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Luke schreef:

I wonder if this is a shared trait between C and PHP (since I understand
PHP
is written in C) that the break; and the default: are placed for good
practice in all switch statements since they prevent memory leaks?

default is not required, never heard it was good practice to always put it
in.

I can't say I've ever heard it recommended as good practice from the
standpoint of performance in any specific language I've ever worked
with, but I have heard people suggest that you always include an
explicit default case in any kind of branching logic. It does seem
useless to say

   default:  // do nothing
               break;

in a switch block, but I imagine the reasoning behind it is so that
anyone who reads your code can see that you actually thought about
what should/would happen if none of the other conditions were true
rather than ignoring those conditions.

It is always useful for a 'default:' case, which would normally do nothing, to include some debug-only code so you can be notified if the default case is ever hit. Whenever I see an empty or just missing 'default:' case, I always cringe.