On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Philip Thompson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2008, at 10:54 AM, Wolf wrote:
>
>> ---- Philip Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> Let me start out by saying, I have STFW and read through the list
>>> archives. Now that that's out of the way.
>>>
>>> To speed up our application, we want to implement using SESSIONs in
>>> some locations. Beforehand, on every page, we would run approximately
>>> 30-40 queries just to get the page setup - user information and other
>>> stuff. Now while we can't take away all of the setup queries, we would
>>> like to reduce the startup number.
>>>
>>> Ok, so I've implemented this in several places where information
>>> basically does not change from page to page. Jumping to the point/
>>> question... when does it become more inefficient to store lots of
>>> information in SESSION variables than to run several more queries?
>>> Note, we are actually storing sessions in the database - so a read/
>>> write is required on each page load - it's not file sessions.
>>>
>>> Now I know this can depend on the complexity of the queries and how
>>> much data is actually stored inside the sessions... but initial
>>> thoughts? To give you a number, the strlen of the _SESSION array is
>>> 325463 - which is equivalent to the number of bytes (I think).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> ~Philip
>>
>> We carry a sh!tload of information in our session, without slowing
>> anything down.  In fact, it takes the servers longer to run a full query
>> then to use the session information.
>>
>> But we use the $_SESSION information.  Our first query sets everything up
>> in the session and we take on from there, and use stuff from the $_SESSION
>> to actually make the rest of the pages faster.
>>
>> 30-40 queries just to set up a page?  That's an abomination that shouldn't
>> see the light of day.
>>
>> Anything slower then 2 seconds without any interaction back to the users
>> will be short-lived....
>>
>> Wolf
>
> Even with 30-40 queries upon setup, it's very fast - less than 1 second...
> for now. We starting having speed issues in other locations. Hence, we
> decided to address every potential reason and possible slowndown in the
> future.
>
> Thanks for your input, Wolf. Any others storing sh!tloads in their SESSION
> array? =D
>
> ~Philip

I used to store objects in the session.  I figured I used it a lot so
why not.  Then my app got really nasty and slow.  Now I only store
enough of the state to render the page.  So instead of storing a
complete user object I store the auth details to load a user object if
needed.  Only very simple parts of the state get loaded into my apps
now.  Now things are quite snappy again.

Why do you have so many queries?   Perhaps we can attack this issue
from another angle.