This is a slightly OT but along the same lines.
I've found that the main way that ISP's and large content hosts control who can access their site and from where is by using BGP routing (Border Gateway Protocol), and other advanced things that are beyond the control of the majority of webserver admins.

It allows them to change the routing that information, which is for example, how your ISPs servers know where to forward your data packet to next. However with some funky router, you can get 'magic' IP addresses, like Akami and most ISP's DNS server have. E.g, You will request to access data on a certain Akami IP address, instead and taking >200ms to hit some server on the other side of the world, and come back, it could go to a server sitting in your nearest capital city in <50ms, which is great for video content, and AJAX calls. The thing is, someone in another country could request the same data from the same IP, and the request will automatically be sent to a completely different server, most likely that of one in their capital city (or at least the closest place that has an Akami server containing the required info).

Above is just another example of how you can't purely rely on IP addresses, although it is the easiest thing from a webservers PoV, and usually right >90% of the time (as far as I am aware, although haven't tested, nor have any good ways of testing besides Traceroute).

Michael Kubler
*G*rey *P*hoenix *P*roductions <http://www.greyphoenix.biz>