On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Rene Veerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, i have the following php statements;
>
> I'm wondering why exec()'s $output remains empty..
> Any help is greatly appreciated..
>
> <?php
>   $cmd = 'nice -n 19 ffmpeg -i "'.$sourcePath.'"';
>   exec ($cmd, $output, $result);
> return array (
>           'cmd' => $cmd,
>           'output' => $output,
>           'result' => $result
>   );

    Try this instead, just to make sure everything's running as expected:

<?php
 $cmd = 'nice -n 19 ffmpeg -i "'.$sourcePath.'" 2>&1';
 exec($cmd,$ret,$err);
 print_r($ret);
?>

    $ret (or whatever you name the second parameter of exec()) will
always be an array, regardless of the actual output from the command.

    You'll need to be sure you have shell access and the ability to
execute system commands as whatever user the PHP script is running
(your own user, apache, httpd, nobody, daemon, pscln, etc.).

    Redirecting the error channel to stdout (using the 2>&1 redirect
at the tail of the command) will also give you the full program
response on $ret, which is then dumped in full using print_r() as
shown above.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
More full-root dedicated server packages: