On 15 Oct 2008, at 16:04, Ben Stones wrote:
Can you explain to me the benefits of hashing/encrypting/md5'ing cookie values? I don't see how it'd stop hackers from changing cookie values?

You encrypt stuff with a string that you keep secret. That string is needed to decrypt the string.

When hashing you would add a secret string to the value you're hashing before calculating the hash. When validating the content of the cookie you would add the secret string and then compare the calculated hash.

In both cases the "bad guys" would need to know the secret string in order to create a valid cookie value so as long as you're not stupid enough to share it it's pretty secure. Aside from the extra CPU required for encryption the only difference between the two is that with hashing the value you're storing is stored in the cookie in plain text whereas an encrypted value is, erm, encrypted.

I suggest you Google encryption and hashing as these are pretty basic concepts.

-Stut