Govinda wrote:

improvement if I went for static URLs on the site, but I don't have any
evidence for that, and I'm willing to admit it.
I'd rebuff this but it would feel like Im feeding a troll.

choices:
1 - Waste some time on a live test to prove this
2 - Explain how I know this and show the historical evidence (which would likely be rebuffed as it's not current) 3 - Further optimise you're clients 75k page site and double traffic within a month (which you'll hardly let me do, and certainly not publicly)
4 - Propose that everybody measures to see who's is biggest.
5 - Find a post worth a reply.
6 - See what's on tv
7 - Make a personal website for the hell of it
8 - Keep my boss happy and do that JBoss/Glassfish comparison
9 - Think of more options
10 - Pester the three week old kittens who are looking at me.

there's been such a low volume of decent get your teeth in to posts on this list the past few days, end up wasting time like this - terrible!

peace

Guys, I am personally way out of it. (I haven't had time anything PHP to even warrant posting the total newbie questions I would have here... )
but please do one thing:
Be kind to Ashley.
I don't know Ash at all, but as an out-of-it newbie I can say from reading many posts on this list that she (sorry if you're not female Ash) always seems courteous, often gives answers that solve the specific technical issues, often gives answers that help the greener coder with general understanding on the topic, and offers for free a lot of her time in a totally unselfish way here. I have no relationship with her at all, so my only point here is that it doesn't seem right to do anything weightier than politely disagree with her (if you do). I mean- speaking harshly to someone who does offer so much benign and useful help makes us wanna be newbies cringe. I would be tempted to say the same if someone said harsh things towards you guys, except that you'd beat me to your own defense. ;-)

-Govinda

Nicely said Govinda and fair point :-)

to be completely impartial on this you'll want to read what google say:
http
:://
googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com
/2008/09/
dynamic-urls-vs-static-urls.html
(join it back together yourself as mailinglist blocks it as a spammy url :p)
this debates dynamic vs static urls - what it doesn't mention is SEF (search engine friendly urls) which you'll note they use themselves ^^^

from personal experience I know from rolling out a few hundred automated sites (as part of sponsored study of the major search engines and more transient web entities) that this is true, turns out though there are hundreds of factors and methods one can use to "seo" a website and gain better rankings - nothing though compares to writing valid, well structured, accurately titled xhtml documents which concentrate on one subject per page and link correctly through out.

Additionally amount of pages on a site has a vast impact on traffic 1k pages indexed will bring in more traffic than 5 in 99.9% of cases and is always worth mentioning.

Ash (assumed you're male..) no offence intended, to be brutally honest here's how it is: 1- The "closed question" format of you're reply ruffled my feathers a little bit; primarily as it would lead me to developing another site purely to test - and too much on my plate at the minute to realistically do. 2- I completely have to agree with Govinda's comment's such as "often gives answers that help the greener coder with general understanding on the topic" so credit where credit's due
3-
while(1) {
if( $php->list->general->hasNewPost() ) {
  $ash->sendReply();
but then we all (well I certainly) do that from time to time; if not just to pass time and do something more interesting than the day job.
4- you plainly have skills; just remember others do as well
5- not quite sure what I'm saying you seem decent and well mannered enough; something ruffled my feathers and can't figure out what it is; maybe you know; maybe you don't but for the greater good I'm going to forget it anyways

6- does nobody have any meaty php/web dev based problems? I need to do something code based to keep my brain ticking over (ie not stop and not burst, heavy work on at the moment and migrating to java (which is great, but on completely the wrong project (or right project wrong time)) - overuse brackets))