Jim Lucas wrote:
Seth Foss wrote:
Jim Lucas wrote:
Seth Foss wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to run multiple sites on the same server, that have mostly
identical code - a pre-built application.

Anyway, I would like to save  disk space by specifying independent
configuration files for each site, then using symbolic links to access
the rest of the code for the application.

I have managed to configure apache so one such directory is accessed via
a symlink, which is ok. However, a file within the linked directory
attempts to include the configuration file (../config.php) from the
actual parent directory instead of the directory containing the symlink.

Is there any way to configure apache or php to trace back the symlink
when using '..', or can that only go one direction?

Thanks,
Seth

You can set the include path for your code to include the parent
directory
from where the symlink is and then remove the ../ part of the call.

Jim,

I had considered that, but I plan to have multiple directories following
symlinks to the same place.

For example,

/var/www/site1 has a config.php and a symlink to var/www/universal/app
while
/var/www/site2 has a different config.php and a symlink to
var/www/universal/app

var/www/universal/app has an index.php with include(../config.php) that
needs the config from the site that is using it (i.e., sometimes site1,
sometimes site2)

Does that make sense? Or did I misunderstand your suggestion?

Thanks,
Seth

You might have miss understood me.

In your VHOST entries, make an entry on each domain

<VirtualHost X.X.X.X>
        DocumentRoot /path/to/example.com/public_html
        ServerName example.com
        php_value include_path '/path/to/example.com/public_html
</VirtualHost>

Now you have your app symlinked into the public_html dir as such (guessing here)

ln -s /path/to/my/app /path/to/example.com/public_html/app

Now, in the app directory you have index.php that has include '../config.php';

Your problem is that the ../config.php reference refers to
        /path/to/my/app/../config.php == /path/to/my/
instead of
        /path/to/example.com/public_html/app/../config.php

Correct???

This is because it is being referenced logically from
        /path/to/my/app/index.php

any symbolically from
        /path/to/example.com/public_html/app/index.php

If that is the case, add the vHOST entry that I talked about above, then
reference the config file as include 'config.php';  and it will then look in
the include_path location(s) for the files and not think of referencing the
current directory that it is in.

Mind you that you can also enter this information into a .htaccess that is
located in the /path/to/example.com/public_html/ directory.  As long as
.htaccess files are allowed.

I usually have my include_path set to ".:/path/to/example.com/public_html/" in
my vhosts entry for each domain.

Hope this helps
I did misunderstand. This approach is working for me. Unfortunately, as I am implementing it, it seems there are more files than I expected that utilize a series of '..'s instead of the absolute path from the config file, and more files than I expected that include the config file themselves.

However, these would cause me the same headaches with any of the proposed solutions.

Long story short, problem is solved. Setting the include path in VHOST lets me set it uniquely for each site, and then including config.php directly (no ..) uses that include path to grab the appropriate config file.

Thanks to everyone for your help, and especially you, Jim, for your elegant solution.

Seth