Hi all.

In short, I am working on a system that allows me to keep track of changes to a large amount of short texts (a couple of thousand text snippets, two or three sentences per text). All text is stored in a database. As soon as a user changes some text (insert, delete, update), this action is recorded. Look at an article on e.g. Wikipedia and click "History". This is more or less what I am trying to accomplish.

Right now, my "history" class that takes care of all changes, is working pretty much as I want. The thing is that both the original text and the altered text is stored in the database every time the text is changed. My concern is that this will eventually evolve into a serious problem regarding amount of storage and performance. So, I am looking for a more efficient way to store all changes.

Ideas I have come up with so far are:

1) Store the "delta" (=the actual change) of a text change. This could be done by utilizing the Pear package TextDiff. My idea was to compare the old with the new text with help of the TextDiff class. I would then grab the array containing the changes from TextDiff, serialize it and store this data into the db. The problem is that this is every thing else but efficient when it comes to smaller text (the serialized array holding the changes was actually larger than the two texts combined).

2) Do some kind of compression on the text to be stored. However, it seems that the build-in compression functions from PHP5 are more efficient when it comes to large texts.

Any other ideas?

thank you.
//frank

ps. I notice that Mediawiki also stores complete articles in the db (every time an article is updated, the hole article is stored in the database). ds.