At 2:34 PM -0600 11/4/08, Boyd, Todd M. wrote:
> [...]
 well, otherwise you'll spend a lot of time re-writing your stuff if it
 doesn't work for someone to use a disabilities enabled browser to surf
 your site.

All U.S.-based GOVERNMENT and GOVERNMENT-RELATED sites (i.e., funded, regulated, etc.) have to be in compliance. If I'm making a version of Simon Says using PHP at my own leisure and putting it up for my friends and others to play, or if I'm designing a website management system for a company in the audiovisual industry, those without Javascript/Flash/Whatever can sit and spin. :)

A small clarification.

It's true that ALL government sites must be compliant -- but some still aren't. I've seen many state web sites that aren't. Typically, Federal and State web-masters are generally clueless when you point out compliance issues to them -- they say all the right words, but do nothing -- or at least it takes a very long time.

All USA companies wanting to land USA government (State and Federal) contracts are required to have compliant web sites -- but some still aren't.

As for personal sites in the USA, there are NO laws governing/requiring compliance. You are free to do whatever you want.

However, if you are selling stuff, then compliance should be of concern because there's money in it. Plus, if you get really big (i.e., deep pockets), then no doubt someone will come after you legally.

For example, recent legal action against Target, with a settlement of $6 million, has shown that compliance issues has some teeth in the USA. It is gaining respect.

So, the writing is on the wall -- compliance should be considered by everyone.

Cheers,

tedd

Thank you oh mighty and good God that I don't live in America!!

How do you manage all these strange things you guys ?

--
Thodoris