Bastien Koert wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Daevid Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 10:32 +0000, Holografix wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I tried PHPDesigner some time ago. It's not bad but now I'm using Netbeans
>> and it's a good editor: http://www.netbeans.org/ (it's free!)
>>
>>  I watched the little movie demo and was impressed, so I just installed and
>> tried the Netbeans 6.5 (.sh installer for Linux b/c the Ubuntu repository
>> has 6.1 still) and am really disappointed at how pokey the GUI is?! It's so
>> slow as to be unusable. I'm baffled by this, as I've been using Eclipse PDT
>> (which is a pig) and that also uses Java, but it's nowhere near as slow as
>> Netbeans is.
>>
>> My system is far from old:
>>
>> Intel P4 CPU 3.20GHz with 2GB RAM.
>>
>> java version "1.6.0_10"
>> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)
>>
>> (also tried with the OpenJDK or whatever it's called, and had the same
>> miserable experience)
>>
>> I tried to adjust some of the netbeans.conf that I saw in the FAQ to no
>> avail:
>>
>> netbeans_default_options="-J-client -J-Xverify:none -J-Xmx256m -J-Xss2m
>> -J-Xms32m -J-XX:PermSize=32m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=200m
>> -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
>> -J-XX:CompileThreshold=100 -Dswing.aatext=true"
>>
>> The fonts also looked horrible! All pixeley and like I was back in the
>> 1980's.
>>
>> I read the forums and searched for "slow" and saw other poor souls with
>> similar experiences, but no solutions. [image: :(]
>>
>> Oh well... Guess I'll stick with Eclipse PDT (and how does Zend get off
>> charging $400 for "Zend Studio" which amounts to a few Eclipse plugins?!?
>> Seriously? That's $150 at best)
>>
>> Daevid.
>> http://www.daevid.com <http://daevid.com>
>>

> I've installed it but have yet to use it. I am having a good time with
> APTANA Studio, though there is a learning curve

As a long-time Java developer, I am pretty familiar with NetBeans, so I'm loving
  6.5 for PHP. It's the best debugging environment I've found (I could never get
Quanta+ to do debugging in any sane way...)
I certainly don't find it slow (not like Eclipse was) or confusing (again,
looking at you, Eclipse), and on my SuSE Linux box (Intel CoreD 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM)
the fonts are lovely and smooth.

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399