I've got an Apache 2.2.3 server running PHP 5.2.6 on top of FreeBSD 6.2. It's worked quite well for over a year now. However, as of some time last night, phpBB broke; upon investigation, I realized that the problem was that $_POST was never getting populated, even on properly formed HTML forms.

Testing this to try to find the issue, I used the following script:

<?php
 print "Testvar: " . $_POST['testvar'] . "<br/>\n";
?>

<form method="POST" action=http://www.newmars.com/test.php name=formname enctype="multipart/form-data">
<input type=text name=testvar><br/>
<input type=submit value=Submit><br/>
</form>

It works like a charm on a different machine with an essentially identical config (it's a newer version of FreeBSD, but that's about it); however, it never displays the contents of $_POST['testvar'] on the machine that suddenly quit functioning right last night.

Meanwhile, the rest of PHP seems to be working fine, as the phpBB forum is accessible in a read-only fashion.

I've searched all over, and done things like restarting Apache; checking phpinfo() for the POST data (it's not there on the broken server, but it is on the functional one); writting a quick Perl script that took POST input to verify that my browser was sending such data properly (it is); and scouring the Apache/PHP error logs. The worst part is, I didn't touch the config at all between when it worked and when it didn't. So now I'm at a total loss as to what could be causing this, or how I should go about troubleshooting.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Alex Kirk