Sorry, I couldnt find EXIST there, only EXISTS.

    If you're going to be that pedantic, "exist" isn't in mysqldump
    either :P

I know it's pedantic, but unfortunately computers are strictly pedantic and I wasn't sure why you said "if exists" can be used in lots of places other than "drop table",
like triggers, functions and i'm sure other things."
I was just stating that I saw it in a dump and I never really used it, so assume(d), it's not very important because you can do the same thing with IN etc and other conditions, can't u?

They are completely different things you're mixing up here.

"IF EXISTS" with "DROP TABLE" means "if the table does not exist, do not give an error".

Same for "drop view", "drop trigger". If the view/table/trigger/function does not exist, do not give an error.

"EXISTS" in a select query is a subquery - same as using "IN".

Completely different.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/