Daniel Kolbo wrote:
What is the preferred method with php to test and see if a file [pattern] exists?

For example, i only need to search in one directory, that may have any number of files named such as afile1.txt, afile2.txt, afile3.txt, .... And also, bfile1.txt, bfile2.txt, bfile3.txt, ... I want to see if any such file 'family' exists. That is, i want to see if there is any file named bfile[1-9][0-9]+.txt. I don't care which bfile number exists, i just want to know if any bfile exists.

I hope this is clear enough, if not let me know.

thanks,
dK

After some more research it seems my options are:
1) loop through the directory contents
2) use scandir (then search the resulting array)
3) use glob. I am not familiar with the glob pattern library, it does not seem like i have the full power of regex when using glob is this correct? Also, searching the whole filesystem seems...overkill.

What do you suggest, is there a 4th option?
thanks,
dK