Terion Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Colin Guthrie <gm...@colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>
>> 'Twas brillig, and Terion Miller at 11/12/08 14:56 did gyre and gimble:
>>
>>> Hey Everyone, I am wondering if using a framework such as one of these may
>>> make my life easier, which do any of you use and what has been your
>>> experience with the learning curve of them?
>>> I just put Cake on my local server, basically I want to know which is
>>> easiest? LOL...
>>>
>> Personally I'm a ZF fan, but each to their own.
>>
>> Col
>>
>> --
>>
>> Colin Guthrie
>> gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie
>> http://colin.guthr.ie/
>>
>> Day Job:
>>  Tribalogic Limited [http://www.tribalogic.net/]
>> Open Source:
>>  Mandriva Linux Contributor [http://www.mandriva.com/]
>>  PulseAudio Hacker [http://www.pulseaudio.org/]
>>  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]
>>

>> --
>>
>> Thanks for the responses, CakePhp was seemingly very easy for me to catch
> on to and get started in (which means its super super easy folks)
> unfortunately when I got to the viewing of my files (pretty important) I
> couldn't get the IIS (yep I know sucks) to work with it, and I installed a
> mod_rewrite.dll for IIS and everything along with setting it to Cakes
> "pretty urls" and removing the htdocs, but then it just kept resolving all
> urls to the root ... no matter what I changed the path to, and no matter if
> I set it only to that directory...so by end of day yesterday I downloaded
> the zend and will attempt to see what I can do with it, I want off this
> windows box but that isn't going to happen anytime soon ...sigh...
> Terion

If you're up for a bit of playing, look at www.virtualbox.org and set up a
virtual linux box inside your windows server.

I got a nice new laptop to play with for setting up a demo of one of our
web-apps, and since it had Vista (and was high enough spec to handle it) I just
put VirtualBox on board and installed OpenSuSE in there to run the server side
of the app. A bit of fiddling with network bridges (all documented by the
VirtualBox people) and the server is visible just like it was a real machine...

So I can take this machine around, and (without needing any network connection)
show off the app in IE, Firefox, Opera or Chrome without having to run IIS.

Well, I thought it was cool, anyway :(

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399