At 11:29 PM -0500 12/15/08, Rob Gould wrote:
 update mytable set hash_field = md5(AutoIdField + unix_timestamp())

I _think_ I understand that - - - - but what does the "AutoldField" variable mean?

He probably intends AutoIdField to be a stand-in for whatever your current auto increment column is called. You probably want to create a unique index -

        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/create-index.html

- on hash_value as well for (1) performance and (2) to ensure against duplicate values (which are, admittedly, pretty unlikely).

Another alternative is to use the uuid() function -

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/miscellaneous-functions.html#function_uuid

- instead of the md5() above, eg

        update mytable set unique_field=uuid();

        - steve