On Dec 26, 2008, at 7:53 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:

I have an object to which I want to add behavior (methods). I cannot use inheritance here because the object is already of a type or subtype (vis, I am already using inheritance for something else), and because I want to be able
to add multiple types of behavior at runtime.

If I understand what you are wanting to accomplish, perhaps a simpler solution:

Whenever I create a function in a core-level class, I add pre- and post- execution language to it. For example:

class foo_bar {

  function foo () {
    if (!on_foo()) {
     return FALSE;