I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough.

I thought the "catch" block was not actually 'catching' anything, since I'm
seeing an error message with the line of code that is causing the Fault.

Turns out, XDebug is kindly splatting out the exception even though it's being
caught.

Which I'm sure it desirable to many folk in dev environment.

But my colleagues' habit of using Exceptions for non-exceptional events is
pretty much going to drive me crazy, like it or not.

There's probably some setting for xdebug that I need to turn off to just ignore
caught Exceptions.

Hopefully it will still blow up for un-caught Exceptions...

Sorry for the noise. Now that I know what is happening, I'm feeling silly for
asking.