Ubuntu linux has been really easy to set up, administrate and
install/run programs.

It has a huge user base, really good support forums and supports a
large variety of hardware configurations. I'm running it on my
Thinkpad T40, which I use for PHP development when travelling. It's
rock solid and easy to work with.

Definitely ought to be one of the packages you consider.