Hey Daniel,

It seems that most of your points of disagreement stem from the potential for poor system administration by homo sapiens (and other primates who might have access to a console), but I still think that from a pure design and implementation perspective, *nix systems are more secure for the reasons the articles point out.

Certainly any system can suffer reduced security through laziness or poor administration. I mean, how many amateur system administrators respond to "I have a permissions problem" with "chmod 777 *"?

But do you not think the permissions issues with who can run what on *nix versus XP makes it more secure?

Daniel Brown wrote:
I certainly wish there were more like you!

If only that woman who lives down the block would give me the opportunity to make her say that... *sigh*.
Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC
503 S Baldwin Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703