Gary wrote:
Ok, not yet...

If the file I want to test resides in My Documents\Sites\nameofsite, I set my "Test server folder" in DW to map to here...correct?

Now down to URL prefix, I have tried
http://localhost
http://localhost/sitename
C:/xampp/apache,( which btw is the Site Root as described in "httpd.conf )
C:/localhost/

and a few other variations that are escaping me at this moment, but keep getting an error.

Some other BG info

Server Model : PHP Mysql
Access : Local/Network
Testing server folder: C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Documents\sites\barrister\ (barrister is the name of the file and site)
URL Prefix http://localhost/barrister/ (currently)

What am I missing (besides a fundemental understanding of it).

think of it as having a local and a remote server on one machine;

first you have your source files in your /My Documents/sites/xxxx

then you have a directory where your web server (the apache part of xampp) looks for files to server (currently C:/xampp/apache/htdocs)

now becuase everything is on the one machine you can take 3 different approaches

Approach 1:
Keep your site files in there current place (my documents)
change testing server folder to a folder your web server can see (like c:/xampp/apache/htdocs/barrister now when you test your files will be copied to htdocs/barrister and made available to see by http://localhost/barrister

Approach 2:
Change the site root in httpd.conf to match your source folder (so change it to C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Documents\sites) and change the <Directory> block in httpd.conf to match now you can forget the testing server bit in dreamweaver and simply load up a browser to http://localhost and all you're sites will be displayed there (http://localhost/barrister for the one in question)

Approach 3:
Use vhosts, but I won't mention until later on, best to get up and running the simple way first :)

ps: if you want to do a quick test, simply copy your barrister folder from my documents/sites in to your htdocs folder and open up http://localhost/barrister

regards