> BUT I WAS WONDERING, and now here comes my question, do the first
> two subnets of an IP address (i.e. 204.57.x.x) typically stay the
> same, so that they could be relied upon for general authenticity?

In practice, I would say yes.

However, theoretically, AOL may suddenly use switch your connection
to use a proxy on the other side of the country on a completely
different B class if their proxy gets congested. And if they can
do that within a country (I'm almost sure they do, or can now), they
can do it around the world :)

So in practice yes, in theory and perhaps in practice no.

Jason