Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 11:51 -0500, Frank Stanovcak wrote:
"Ashley Sheridan" <> wrote in message news:1231681793.3527.2.ca...@localhost.localdomain...
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 08:08 -0500, tedd wrote:
At 4:16 PM -0500 1/10/09, Paul M Foster wrote:
And let me present an alternative perspective. Never do something like:

<?php echo 'Hellow world'; ?>

Let Apache (or whatever) interpret HTML as HTML, and don't make it
interpret PHP code as HTML.

Instead, do:

<h1>Hello world</h1>

If you're going to use PHP in the middle of a bunch of HTML, then only
use it where it's needed:

<h1>Hello <?php echo $name; ?></h1>

The contents of the PHP $name variable can't be seen by the HTML, which
is why you need to enclose it in a little PHP "island". Naturally, if
you're going to put PHP code in the middle of a HTML page, make the
extension PHP. Otherwise, Apache will not interpret the PHP code as PHP
(unless you do some messing with .htaccess or whatever). It's just
simplest to call a file something.php if it has PHP in it.

Paul
--
Paul M. Foster
Paul:

I agree with you. My example was not well thought out. My point was
not to mix style elements with data. I should have said:

I would consider the following"bad practice":

  <?php echo("<h1>$whatever</h1>"); ?>

Whereas, the following I would consider "good practice".

<h1><?php echo("$whatever"); ?></h1>

Thanks for keeping me honest.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------

Unless it's something like this:

<?php
echo "<h1 class=\"$headerClass\">$whatever</h1>";
?>

Which is unlikely for a header tag, but I know this sort of format gets
used a lot by me and others, especially for setting alternate row styles
on tables (damn browsers and not supporting alternate rows!)

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Hey Ash...Why don't you just use CSS subclassing?

    h1.odd {class stuff here}
    h1.even {class stuff here}

then

<h1 class="odd"><?php echo $whatever; ?></h1>

no escaping, and no need to php your css styles.  :)

Frank

That's what I do do, but the 'odd' has to come from PHP, as
unfortunately, numerical selectors in CSS aren't supported by (AFAIK)
any browsers at the moment. So for example, if I was coding for
alternate rows in a table, I might do:

for($i=0; $i<$some_limit; $i++)
{
    $rowClass = ($i % 2 == 0)?'':'class="alternate"';
    print <<<EOP
EOP;
}

As far as such loops go, is this a particular faux pas in regards to the
way it's coded? Go on Tedd ;)

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

nice pick-up on the fact you only need to css the alternate row not both odd and even :p