I regret that I don't recall who made the brilliant observation that
programmers spend the majority of their time *reading* code (their own or
others) as opposed to *writing* code.

So, I make it a point to try to make my code easily scannable. I only and
always use the switch construct when evaluating the value of a single
variable. The switch then tells me that at a glance when I'm reading code,
and I don't have to plow through a bunch of elseif clauses to get the big
picture of what the code is doing.

The bottom line for me on this issue is the "bottom line" - productivity.

Kirk