Another tidbit...

I am fairly new to SVN or any Version Control System.  Whether its
CVS, SVN, or GIT a VCS is essential even for solo projects.

My setup is as follows, [and it seems to work pretty well]:

1. svn repo lives on dev server.
2. everything is in the trunk.  I haven't touched branches and / or tags yet.
3. users connect to repo via http using htaccess users & passwords
4. post-commit script runs svn update after anyone commits to the
repo.  This runs svn update on the dev server.
5. after the boss approves the dev server work, the production server
runs svn update too.  The production has a "checked out" working copy
of the source repo.  I chose this method because our clients also FTP
some files to the server, and using svn export would be too
complicated.  The production server connects to the repo via an ssh
user using an ssh key and restricted to this command "svnserve -t -r
/var/svnrepo".  The svn up on the production server is a manual
process.  I login via ssh, cd to the webroot, and type svn up.

Our dev team is using eclipse-pdt and subclipse plugin which
integrates eclipse and subversion.

Subversion or any VCS is essential.  After 15 years of using
FTP/SFTP/SCP, SVN has replaced it for all my web projects.

life your own way.
http://www.talkderby2me.com