On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:03, Martin Zvarík <mzva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently host my site by Powweb, and I am WANT to change it - can you
> guys recommend me something good?
>
> Powweb's website looks awesome and it's the best marketing I think I had
> saw! After a minute it makes you think there is NO better hosting - and it's
> a LIE.

    It's not necessarily a lie.  The possibility always remains that
you were just on a "lemon" server --- one that may be experiencing
major technical difficulties, or which was not properly configured
from the get-go.

> What happened to me?
>
> - database connection were exceeded, I read many people had problems with
> their phorums not working etc., the solution: I put a message to the visitor
> that he has to wait (it was not frequent so I didn't care much)

    This is a problem with a lot of hosts: maximizing profits by
overcrowding servers and overselling resources.

> - my client stopped receiving orders, he called me after a week something is
> wrong. I found out that Powweb changed a MySQL settings, which nobody
> informed me about - they restricted a JOIN limit max to 3, the mysql_query
> SQL thus did not work and orders were not storing for 7 days!

    Changing settings like that should never be done without giving
folks advance notice, if even at all.  That again comes down to
improper configuration, mismanagement, and overselling.  However, if
you're sending advanced queries to the database, maybe you should
re-think your hosting solution: you should probably consider moving to
a dedicated server, if even just a budget server.

> - the suport is HORRIBLE - they don't give you email, but they have this
> ONLINE support, meaning: you wait 10-20 minutes on queue, and then they talk
> to you like a robots and usually tell you something you already know.

    Here combines two major entities that can be compressed to a
singularity (a pun for those who enjoy physics): support availability
and proper server/network administration.  Just like in programming
and web development - if you take the extra time to set things up
properly from the beginning, you can spend less time on bug fixes and
support, and more time focusing on advancing the script (or network).

> - now they automatically changed all my passwords so they can keep me
> secure! what's cool is that I cannot change it back to what I have! Hey, the
> chance of getting me hit by bus is higher than someone cracking my 15 letter
> password with numbers! Thank you powweb for keeping me secure.

    It's Microsoftian Protection Tactics[TM] (MPT's) - protect the
users from themselves by treating them like technological toddlers.
"We appreciate the fact that you don't know what's good for you as
well as we do, so Big Brother will watch over you."  Companies really
should only step in if the customer has asked for that assistance from
the beginning, or in dire emergencies (security breeches, etc.).

> Thanks for reading my story,
> now, does someone know a better hosting alternative?

    Again, it sounds like you are technologically-apt and capable of
holding your own; with hints at multiple websites and financial
transactions taking place on at least one of them, you'd be
well-advised for security and availability purposes to look into
moving to a dedicated server.  You'd have full control over it,
customizing it to meet your own needs, maximizing resource
availability to your sites, et cetera.

    We sell shared hosting and dedicated servers (as well as
colocation services), and there are a few other companies that I would
also recommend based on their levels of service and support.  You may
want to check them out:

        http://www.liquidweb.com/
        http://www.softlayer.com/
        http://www.layeredtech.com/
        http://www.fastservers.com/

    Regardless of who you choose, or if you decide to stick with
PowWeb, best of luck.  Don't let anyone else tell you how you should
run your websites.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.br...@parasane.net || danbr...@php.net