If you want to profile your web server, i.e artificially see what it's like under load, then you can use a program like 'ab' on Linux which will create the specified number of HTTP requests as if the URL was being requested (although not all the other things like the images, .css files, etc..)

An example command might be "*ab -n 10000 -c 50 http://localhost/*";, although you'll want to check the options first. You'll probably also want to use something like htop (or at least top) to view the current load on the server, and how many apache threads are spawned. Ohh and I'd suggest backing up or clearing the log file before and after (depends if you keep the log file or not).

I just tried myself, and on my un-optimised backup server at home it responds to 150 concurrent connections faster then 500 concurrent connections mainly because it has to spawn so many children as it ramps up.

Actually if the OP wants a proper answer we will need more detail, like the operating system or distro. I know on Ubuntu it's simply seen as apache2, and ps shows it as '/usr/sbin/apache2'

Also, if you want to know how many threads are running this command works for me :
> ps augx | grep apache | wc -l

Sorry, I know this isn't directly PHP specific,although this sort of thing can be useful when testing various scripts, and comparing an internal looping test in PHP to time an algorithm, and actually running the script say 10,000 times. Also good for making sure your site can survive a slashdot (it turns out that without some tweaking of apache mine can't).

Michael Kubler
*G*rey *P*hoenix *P*roductions <http://www.greyphoenix.biz>

Boyd, Todd M. wrote:
Statements do not end with question marks... He is asking a question.

It looks to me like he wants to know which process he should watch to
determine the performance of Apache v2.2.

I believe it's "httpd".

HTH,

// Todd