Eric Butera wrote:
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 08:38 -0500, Eric Butera wrote:
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 21:33 -0500, Eric Butera wrote:
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Ron Piggott <ron....@actsministries.org> wrote:
How do I determine the value of    tx   from this string?

page/words_from_the_well_checkout/?tx=8UM53005HH344951T&st=Completed&amt=0.01

My desired answer is: 8UM53005HH344951T

I am trying to capture the serial number which follows tx= and ends
immediately before the &

Ron

http://us.php.net/parse_str

--
http://www.voom.me | EFnet: #voom

Go regular expressions...

/tx=([^\&]+)/

then do a preg_match with the string using the $matches array argument.
$matches[1] should be your value.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

There really isn't a need to even try to build something like that
when something already exists exactly for the purpose.  It's well
documented too.  Plus after this part works, there's probably a good
chance we'd be looking for that second variable. =)

--
http://www.voom.me | EFnet: #voom

But isn't what you suggest to use only available in PHP5? When possible,
I try to build for PHP4, as my own hosting, and others I've seen only
support 4, and the old answer of "find a better hosting" is not always a
good solution.

Besides, if you need the second part of the URL, just adapt the regular
expression a bit. I don't why people seem so afraid of them to be
honest.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

parse_str

(PHP 4, PHP 5)

parse_str — Parses the string into variables

lol - it's obviously an url guys..

http://php.net/parse_url
and
http://php.net/parse_str

$s = 'your/url/?with=parrams';
$parts = parse_url($s);
$arrayOfQueryParams = parse_str($parts['query']);
$theBitYouWant = $arrayOfQueryParams['tx'];
// output the bit you want
echo $theBitYouWant . PHP_EOL;
// output all the params
print_r($arrayOfQueryParams);