I'm not much for running PHP on Windows, but I thought that many of the performance issues had been worked out...

However, I'm trying to run a PHP through CLI and having a terrible experience with speed. This is running Windows Server 2008 (with a Quad-Core Intel, 4 GB of RAM).

My problem in particular is a small script that bzread()s from a large-ish (104 MB) file, and throws some data into a sqlite db.

It's not really hitting any resource limits that I know of - the PHP process isn't even using 3% CPU, and RAM usage is minimal... it's just... slow.

It's not even just this script. It's not doing it now, but when I was playing around with it last night, it was taking quite a bit to execute small echo statements from reading stdin from the php process (although 'php -qa' doesn't exhibit this behavior)

Anyway, Windows processes about 4,000 rows per minute, while Linux does 10.6K. I know I shouldn't expect much out of the platform, but this just straight CLI, I figured it would be at least respectably similar.

Any insight?
Thanks!
-Jason