Ashley Sheridan wrote:

>> mail server at all.

>>> Of course he can send mails this way, but they won't be accepted by
>>> many mail providers because of their anti-spam measurments.
>>> They bounce mails that come from dynamic ip ranges like his home
>>> server. I just wanted to help him avoid this because you won't see the
>>> reason until you look at the syslog.
>>>

>> I am sorry didn't get right what you meant after all.
>>
>> In that case a simple mail() won't do.
>>
> I've never had an email bounced because of where it came from based on
> IP. I have had emails bounced based on the email headers that were sent.
> Always check the headers first. Even MessageLabs won't block an email
> based on the IP.
>

> Ash
> www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Ever heard of RBL or DNSBL?  I use it on my email server and so do many
others.  It checks the IP of the sending host against a list or set of
lists that contain addresses such as, known spammers, known open relays,
 blocks of IPs that are dynamic (used by ISPs for home customers), etc.
 If the sender is found in the list, the receiver terminates the
connection and doesn't even accept the email.

It's actually very slick.  I use the list at spamhaus.org.

--
Thanks!
-Shawn