On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:22:32AM +0000, Stuart wrote:

> 2009/2/17 Paul M Foster <pa...@quillandmouse.com>:

<snip>

> Maintaining identical development, staging and live environments is
> one of the key components of reliable, repeatable and streamlined
> development, testing and deployment, but if you're happy with what
> you've got then by all means continue as before. I was just offering a
> best practice suggestion that would solve your current problem and
> likely some you'll encounter in the future.

All agreed. That is the safest alternative. Will I do it that way? Not
so much. Yes, I know I reap the consequences.

<snip>

> Most DHCP servers can reserve an IP address for a specific MAC address
> such that that IP always gets given to that NIC.

Actually, that's what happens in this case. But I could change that IP
one day and forget to hack the hosts file. I prefer to treat it as
non-fixed.

<snip>

> > Really, Stuart, you should try not to be so annoyed at people who don't
> > appear to know as much as you believe you do. ;-}
>
> I'm not annoyed, I'm mildly frustrated. You did not respond to my
> initial suggestion in the other thread but continued to discuss the
> problem with others. I apologise if my tone came across as annoyed,
> but it's polite to respond to others when they communicate with you.

All this because I didn't answer you on another thread? Wow. I typically
don't reply to suggestions whose nature I'm already aware of as an
alternative. Sorry about that.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster