On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> I've had a bit of a problem with a function I'm using for a form.
> Essentially, the function looks like this:
>
> function addEvent($values = Array('name' => '', 'venue' => '',
> 'description' => '', 'errors' => Array()))
> {
>    // code here displays the form
> }
>
> The function is used to both display an empty form, and the form
> populated with values again should there be any validation errors.
>
> Now this works fine when the form has been filled out and there are
> errors present, as I can call the function with the correct array
> values. However, when I call the function with no arguments (intending
> the function to populate the $values array itself) all it does is
> present me with an empty array. A print_r($values) just returns
> Array( ), no key values defined.
>
> I altered the function to this:
>
> function addEvent($values = Array())
> {
>    if(count($values) == 0)
>    {
>        $values = Array('name' => '', 'venue' => '', 'description' =>
> '', 'errors' => Array());
>    }
>    // code here displays the form
> }
>
> then all works as intended. Question is, am I being dense, or is there a
> reason why this shouldn't work?
>

> Ash
> www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Here's how I handle making sure I have the correct structure.

function something(array $array=array()) {
$defs = array('name' => '', 'venue' => '', 'description' =>'',
'errors' => Array());
$array = array_merge($defs, $array);

http://www.voom.me | EFnet: #voom