I'm trying to make php work with mysql but I can't
even create a table.  I'm receiving this error.

[root@menace mysql]# mysqladmin create testdb
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server though
socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysq.sock' (2)'

Check that mysqld is running and that the socket
:'/var/lib/mysql/mysq.sock' exists

I started mysqld - ps -ef shows that the process is
not running
The only thing I see that is wrong is that mysql.sock
is missing, but I assumed the install or starting the
process would create it.  It didn't.

Shouldn't this file be created by the install
And when I use prefix=/software/mysql a mysqld file is
placed under /usr/local/bin as well.  Am I doing
something wrong???