PJ wrote:

> Is there a shorter way of determining if a field contains text?
> This works but I wonder if I can K.I.S.S. it? I really only need to know
> if there is or is not a field containing the text specified. I don't
> need to see it.
> <?php
>
>   // Request the text
>   $text = "Joe of Egypt";
>   $sql = "SELECT title FROM book WHERE title LIKE '$text'";
>   $result = mysql_query($sql);
>   if (!$result) {
>     echo("<P>Error performing query: " .
>          mysql_error() . "</P>");
>     exit();
>   }
>
>   // Display the text
>   while ( $row = mysql_fetch_array($result) ) {
>     echo("<P>" . $row["title"] . "</P>");
>   }
>   if ($row["title"] == "")
>       echo ("Empty!")
>
> ?>

In addition to other answers, don't forget to escape the string you are
passing to the query with mysql_real_escape_string(), otherwise your query
will have problems with some characters e.g. apostrophe.

Cheers
--
David Robley

"I refuse to make an agenda," Tom said listlessly.
Today is Pungenday, the 58th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3175.