Wait, wait, wait... I know SQL Server doesn't have "LIMIT", but haven't you guys ever
used "TOP"? As in...

select top 10 * from some_table where some_column = 'some_value';

FWIW you have to do a similar thing in oracle.

select * from table where rownum <= 5; <-- get 5 rows.

to use a limit & offset it's back to the subquery.

select * from (select * from table where rownum <=100 ) where rownum >= 80; <-- get rows 80 -> 100.

I found the o'reilly book "sql cookbook" really handy for working with multiple db's - it outlines a lot of differences and how you do the same thing in each db.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/